Sunday, November 18, 2007

Flour Flour Everywhere, and not a bit to bake

. . . Or at least until recently. Sorry guys, no photo this time. I had a great idea for this post yesterday night, but I forgot to take the pictures. Here in Germany everyone sells flour, but yeast, baking soda, baking powder and cream of tartar are really difficult to find. One store had yeast (only), another had only baking soda. I finally found baking powder last Saturday (they didn't have baking soda - or yeast I think). I'm still looking for cream of tartar. I heard you can find it at a German pharmacy (where they sell monistat but not nursing pads). Strange place, Germany, sometimes. Anyway, until a few days ago I wondered why in the world sell all that flour when there's nothing to leaven it? Don't try to tell me that all the Germans bake their own flatbread, dumplings, and nothing else? (I think even dumplings take baking soda). And please don't tell me they're all eating tortillas. Even that takes baking powder. Anyway, having found yeast, we made pizza twice this week. Fresh mozzarella, prociutto, basil, sun-dried tomatoes, salami milano, roasted bell peppers (we had a couple of different kinds of pizza). . . it was great. We had Ingo and Margret over for dinner last night and showed them phase ten. They had a lot of fun. Speaking of phase 10 and other card games. We found a place that sells tons of toys (we saw a German phase 10 there). It's rather expensive, but there's no place like Wal-mart (or even Target) here. Remind me to tell you why Wal-Mart failed in Germany (yes, I said failed, . . . miserably). It's pretty cool.

4 comments:

KMDuff said...

You can make baking powder if you have baking soda and cream of tartar I think. I can't remember totally, but I know its possible. Probably, everyone just buys their bread fresh from the baker each day?

Laura Gunn Studio said...

Yum. More reasons on my list to come out and see you guys. I'll just remember to stop by walmart on my way.

The Bowers! said...

Christina, were you ever able to find yeast over there? I could send you a monster pack from Costco if you like. Or, you could start a sourdough starter and go at it the old fashioned way (altho the bread won't ever rise quite as much as with yeast).

Ms. said...

that is crazy. I haven't ventured out of the states much, but that is crazy, what do they make food with???